Saturday, July 13, 2013

Day Dreamers

           As a youngster I used to sit in some of my classes and doodle when I was actually supposed to be listening. Let’s face it; some subjects (and a great many teachers) are just not interesting enough to hold our attention.

 
So there I’d sit, my thoughts drifting, day dreaming of some faraway place in a much different role than a mere mortal student stuck in a boring math class. Oftentimes I’d sketch out a scene of motorcycle racers battling for the finish line, or custom cars I’d adorn with personalized paint schemes and tricked out engines, futuristic airplanes, and some of the wildest boats you'd never see...or would you? Those machines could take me anywhere. And they often did just that, as I’d allow my imagination to play out the exciting scenes that cast me in the starring role or brought me notoriety, fame, wealth and happiness. Money was no object because, after all, this was pretend. I guess you could say that I had a pretty active imagination, as I suspect most of us do. I could create anything, live without regard to limits, and was always in control. Maybe it’s no wonder I grew up to be an air traffic controller.  

Today, we teach our kids to focus, stop day dreaming, stay within the well-defined lanes of reality and to be “realistic,” whatever that’s supposed to mean. Oh sure, we may tell them they can be anything they set their minds to, but have we taught them just how to use their minds?

We demand a lot of our children, and we demand a lot of ourselves. What if “realistic” just isn’t what we’re meant to be? What then? Well, maybe you should…use your imagination

Step into a day dream with me and suppose, just for a few moments, that there are no limits or no obstacles to achieving something you truly desire. What’s the first thing that comes to mind? Whatever it is, grab it! It’s the first clue to something your innermost self desires for you to achieve. That’s real, I promise you. Savor the vision, smell the fragrances, remember the sounds, capture the nuances and don’t let it go.

Is your desire to become a better athlete, to write a book, play the piano, land that dream job, become financially independent? Do you have an idea or invention that no one else has?
 




Is your vision so crystal clear that you can literally imagine it in the outstretched palm of your hand? If so, lock onto the vision and claim it, and don’t neglect to feed it. By visualizing your true desire, you effectively create your own future that’s designed to bring you exactly what it is you think about. Visualize how your achievement will change your life. Watch the scene play out in detail as the lives of those around you change because of your changes. Remember, you are looking at the end state–the achievement of your goal or desire.


Focus on your desires ten minutes a day for ten days and watch your life begin to change. Notice how subtleties become increasingly evident as you “feel” your life begin to gravitate toward that which you desire. Watch how your mind will begin to bring you ways in which to find solutions, discover opportunities, gravitate to the right people, and achieve. The mechanics of the process will begin to reveal themselves in some pretty amazing ways. You may begin to “see” broad ideas or concepts at first, but soon you’ll begin to see the details of the necessary actions required to fulfill your dream, desire, or objective. Obstacles will appear as temporary annoyances whereas before, they’d seem to be insurmountable circumstances.

When’s the last time you allowed yourself to daydream, to truly visualize something just out of reach and thought about what it would be like to achieve it, possess it, obtain it? Very often, before a speech or an important presentation, I’d spend time visualizing myself in front of an audience delivering a well-practiced presentation. No details are spared. I “see” the venue, the audience, and watch my delivery several times over. I even see what I’m wearing.

The more I visualize the future I desire, the clearer it becomes. The clearer it becomes, the more insight and confidence I have that the scene I’m looking at is a very close resemblance of the reality that I’ll experience.

I recently published my first novel. It took me over three years to accomplish. But I always knew that I would indeed publish it because I had such a crystal clear vision of doing just that. I even knew what I wanted the cover to look like. At first, I could only see my name on the cover, the title, and the predominant colors. The more I visualized Dream Operative, the better I could see the layout of the cover design I desired. I also visualized myself holding the book, signing it at book signings, interacting with readers, and talking about the process…all of which I have not only visualized (several times over), I’ve physically experienced it all as well.

Literally everything we’re exposed to began in someone’s mind. Thomas Edison visualized the electric light bulb; Tiger Woods is known to use visualization before every round of golf; Bill Gates and Steve Jobs both set the framework for the profound achievements of our time, which eventually became the reality that transformed the world. Each of these people watched the reality of their very futures unfold every time they projected the images of their desires into their minds. In doing so, they programmed themselves to receive that which they desired.

If reading this article has piqued your interest and you’d like to know more about how powerful this process can be for you personally, drop me a line and let me know how I can help.

Until next time!
 



- G -


"I can't help but stare into your eyes and daydream about all we should be."

 
If you enjoyed this article, you can help by recommending it on Google by pressing the "g+1" button below...

 
----------------------------------
Get your copy of my first novel Dream Operative. Visit my website (www.gwestfal.com) and order your copy today!

Receive a notification anytime I publish a new blog (currently about every two weeks), visit my Facebook page: G. Gary Westfal, Writer, Artist Educator

Once there, click on "Get Update via RSS" on the bottom of the left column. You'll be subscribed and will receive notification whenever I publish a new blog or provide updates to my novel Dream Operative. And help me by recommending this blog to others and "liking" my FB page.

Please visit my All American Warriors! bog at: http://allamericanwarriors.blogspot.com/
Please visit my website: www.gwestfal.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and feedback are encouraged. If you enjoyed this post, please recommend it to others.